Monday 21 September 2015

Overtaking George R.R. Martin

The Game of Thrones series is literally treading on thin ice: As the story beyond the wall unfolds, I no longer have any prior knowledge of what's going on, and neither do the writers.

I'm certain Weiss and Benioff have been briefed by George about how the entire series ends, but you can already tell by the quality of the dialogue and the way some of these scenes unfold that Martin's prose is no longer there to guide them along the way.

Stannis now officially sucks. In the books he's still human after all his adversity. Having him kill his own daughter like this turned one of the few remaining interesting characters into a flat, two dimensional villain. He died shortly after, so I fail to see what the point was. Maybe they wanted us to stop caring about him before he died?

Some of the tings I've been rooting for, such as Coldhands and Lady Stoneheart, I could do without. I realize that you can't show everything in the books on screen and that it's a different medium. What I can't do without is good dialogue from interesting characters, decent scenes and a plot that makes sense.

Please don't mess this up, boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment